Our School Environment
St. Francis of Assisi Primary School is committed to providing a safe, caring and supportive learning environment, which ensures that the experience of social, emotional and academic learning is positive for all students.
The school fosters a culture of positive and respectful relationships, which is modelled by Christ, the Good Shepherd. The Student Wellbeing Policy is based on the understanding that students have the primary responsibility for their behaviour and parents and staff, work in partnership to assist students to develop healthy social practices and personal wellbeing strategies.
Through our Wellbeing Policy we aim to:
- Create a positive school environment in which all staff assume responsibility for the wellbeing of students and colleagues.
- Establish an environment where each individual feels safe, respected and valued.
- Encourage children to develop self-discipline and to take responsibility for their own actions.
- To develop confidence, persistence, resilience, organisation and ‘getting along’ skills in students through a variety of strategies and programs. (Program Achieve – social skills program).
- To develop policies and implement programs that are both, proactive and oriented towards prevention, intervention and restoring wellbeing.
- To provide appropriate professional learning for all staff so that they are skilled and proactive in the management of student wellbeing issues.
- To build strong partnerships with families.
- Ensure that students, staff and parents clearly understand the school’s expectations for student behaviour.
- Reinforce positive behaviour and develop self-esteem.
- Establish a set of procedures in keeping with the ‘Kidsmatter’ social and emotional framework that are restorative in nature and can be consistently implemented in response to unhealthy social behaviours.
At St. Francis of Assisi Parish Primary School we hold the care, safety and wellbeing of children and young people as a central and fundamental responsibility of our school. Our commitment is drawn from and inherent in the teaching and mission of Jesus Christ, with love, justice and the sanctity of each human person at the heart of the gospel.
Our school vision and mission statements reflect that we believe that all children have the right to learn and grow spiritually, physically, intellectually, emotionally and socially in a nurturing environment. Here in the St Francis of Assisi School Community we strive to work together, fostering respect and justice for all in a challenging, positive, safe and stimulating environment.
Further details relating to our school’s commitment to child safety can be found on our Child Safe Schools button, found on the Home page (accessible via this link).